Monday, November 22, 2010

Michael Vick, A Hero Not Just In Football

 

Like most other kids, growing up I had a pet that was a big part of my life. “Patchy” was a friend and I cried when he was taken to the “Dog Hospital” and never came back. For me this seemed unfair or even a bit cruel because I think we had a mutual affection and respect for each other. “Patchy” will forever be a part of my life and I have a scar on my upper lip to prove it.

 

Old Yeller Probably from the beginning of time dogs have been a part of our lives in one affectionate way or another. It is partly the reason the likes of Lassie, Benji and Old Yeller have been so popular across so many generations.

 

 

Michael Vick

Therefore, it is understandable the outrage one feels when we are made aware of the cruelty some like Michael Vick have done to our “Best Friends.”

It is unfortunate in some circumstances that cruelty to animals especially for entertainment and gambling purposes are a part of some groups cultural up bringing.

 

 

Apparently and in my opinion regrettably Michael Vick was a part of this type of a group. Although disappointed in his actions I have always felt his punishment did not fit the crime.

 

QB Vick Today, Michael Vick as a Philadelphia Eagle is again in the news and should be rightfully so. Any NFL quarter back that can put up 6 touchdowns on the road deserves to be in the spotlight.

While much attention is being given to his on the field success, I think the bigger story here is his apparent personal accomplishments off the field.

 

 

 

 

   

Tony DungyMichael Vick is a rehabilitation success story and should serve as a role model to others that have found themselves in similar situations.

Plaxico Burress, Pac-Man Jones and others should take notice.

I am sure having a supportive network like former NFL coach Tony Dungy, family and real friends are all a part of Vick's success. Without a doubt those in similar situation must also make good choices like Michael seems to have done. 

 

 

Vick’s story shows the power of forgiveness, real friends and taking advantage of opportunities to make one’s life better. What more can a person in this type of a situation ask for?

 

 

No comments: