Thursday, October 21, 2010

Defending Juan Williams

 

Once again our political correctness and lack of ability to face the truth shows how hypocritical some members of the media like NPR can be.

 

Juan-Williams What cowards have we become when we will not defend the right of free speech for the sake of political correctness.

NPR should be ashamed of it's firing of Juan Williams. As a “liberal” public entity and one that claims to be an open forum. What a disgrace.

 

 

On the Bill O'Reilly show Juan stated the following:

"I mean, look, Bill, I'm not a bigot," Williams continued. "You know the kind of books I've written about the civil rights movement in this country. But when I get on the plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous."

I believe Mr. Williams expressed what most passengers would feel in a similar situation. Call it what you want but the reality is that we all prejudge situations and people we face everyday.

If you see someone with a prison tattoo approaching you, you would be foolish not to put your guard up. Yes, he or she maybe harmless but you have no way of knowing until you assess behavior.

 

 

9-11 Attack Working in the aviation industry we are taught to assess (political correctness) our customers as a part of the security process using an 85/15 rule. The basic premise being that 85% of passengers are no threat.

As a professional, I do not necessarily become worried and nervous because a part of my assessment is tied into behavior patterns.

Of course most passengers do not have this same type of training and if they became worried or nervous it would not surprise or offend me.

 

 

 

 

Barney If airplanes were being hijacked and used as weapons by purple dinosaurs then they would fall in the 15% range.

For other passengers It would be foolish not to be nervous or worried if you boarded a plane with a few purple dinosaurs on board.

I bet most that criticize Juan Williams remarks would feel the same if they walked into a similar situation.

 

Juan's crime, speaking the truth.

Is part of the problem here that we are afraid to offend those that have done or intend to do us harm? Those cowards that disgrace a faith. If Muslims in general spoke out against those that misrepresent their faith then maybe we can all get beyond our “Muslim Dilemma”. 

The rights of free speech should never be trampled for the sake of political correctness. NPR’s action are that of a coward and shows that NPR lacks any credibility as an open minded public forum.

If the truth and free speech cannot be defended then our enemies may have already won. Shame on you NPR!

 

No comments: